Caramel Louise Cake
Serves Makes 16 pieces
- 1/2 can (200g) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 60g butter
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 size 7 Henergy Cage Free eggs plus 1 extra Henergy Cage Free egg white
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar for meringue
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 170 C (338 F).
- Heat the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter together in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the butter melts and the mixture just comes to the boil and thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the 125g of butter and 1/3 cup of sugar until pale and creamy. Separate eggs and add yolks to the butter mixture and mix well. Sift flour and baking powder together, add and mix well.
- Press the mixture evenly into a lined 26 x 18cm slice pan.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they start to foam, gradually pour in the sugar and also the salt.
- Continue to beat until you get a shiny glossy meringue. Gently fold in the coconut.
- Spread the caramel filling over the base.
- Evenly spoon the meringue over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the meringue is coloured and firm. Cover with a piece of foil if it colours too quickly. Allow to cool and then cut into 16-20 pieces. Store in an airtight container